Saturday, January 18, 2014

84 Home for Christmas

Atlanta
      December 14th It was overcast as we drove thru Charlotte, the mist started on the outskirts.   As the highway speed increased so did the intensity of the rain. For the most part it was annoying but not dangerous.   Then the skies opened up, when you ride like we do you expect some discomfort but while it is going on you start to question your judgment.  A little over an hour out it was raining harder, no wipers of course I raised the visor on my helmet to help with visibility, the cold wind on my face was starting to chill me.  We were trying to keep a safe distance from the traffic around us and at points the standing water was causing some hydroplaning.   I think towing the camper was
Lucky enough to see the capital, see it under the street light.
an aid acting like an anchor and keeping the trike from being to unstable when it started to float on the cushion of water.  Still it tightens your stomach muscles.  Ruthie and I agreed we didn't have to be out here and I suggested we stop at exit 75, no special reason except by New Bern and now on this highway I had seen advertisements for "Cook out" restaurant.  Evidently some type of very well promoted hamburger stand,  Had to check it out.  Exit 75 turned out to be a bad choice.  The highway construction crew must have did this exit on a Friday or Monday.  Not thinking that a 2 to 3 inch dip would cause a big problem we hit the highway lake as we exited the freeway.  A wall of water rose from the highway, came up soaked my feet and legs, and the trike started to weave, fortunately the water also slowed the trike 
Charles and Joyce, Ruthie!

and I was able to keep it directed up the exit.  Even though we had originally exited to eat and allow the rain to subside.  I was now soaked and cold.  I don't think we will be going any further today.  I know the burger was good but I think the stress of the day kept me from enjoying it more.  We will try it again someday.  Ruthie had a chicken something or other, who does that, chicken in a new hamburger place.   We both agreed the malts were good, (I know we are wet and cold but had to try them.).   We voted and decided to spend the night.  We even had offers from patrons to give us a ride to a motel, we were getting a lot of sympathy.  One lady asked if it was raining when we started our trip today, When I said "No" she seemed relieved like we had some common sense.   I didn't think it was necessary to let her know we were going to start out today even if it was raining.  We found out later they had gotten an inch and half of rain today.  In the room drying clothes over the heater, left
Chattahoochee River
over ramen noodles from when I was sick, popcorn and dried fruit, neither of us wanted to go out.  Dec 15 looked dry outside, lets try this again.  Midland Georgia we are on our way.  41 degrees at 75 mph = don't care we are riding!
We were promised 50 today but it never materialized.  41-43 was the best it could do all day,  Plus's the road was clear and dry, the sun was shining and we were on the trike going to friends.  It's all good.  It was Sunday and Atlanta traffic was manageable.  Looking back we were very happy we hadn't came thru here yesterday in the pouring rain.   An exit or two after the traffic picture was taken there was an accident just before the off ramp.  The cars were starting to back up very rapidly.  Fortunately we were close to the center lanes, a quick glance back, a two lane move to the outside and we squeaked by.  That could have been a long morning waiting for the jam to clear.  Once we cleared Atlanta the speed crept up just to keep up with traffic.   We arrived at Midland, a suburb of Columbus.   
Even Airport security is going with Three wheels.
     Charles and Joyce are friends from our Navy days in Pensacola Florida.  They had kindly agreed to babysit our trike and camper while we flew home for Christmas with the family.  Charles had went above and beyond the call and made a place in his storage shed for them.  It was great to reconnect with them and Reminisce about Navy and friends,  I could tell you some humorous stories about them, however they have some on me also.   We spent the next couple of days relaxing and checking out the local area.  They took us to see the river walk.  Columbus now has the longest urban white water rafting in the world.  You can see Alabama across the Chattahoochee River. 
Tom's shirt

     Dec 18th. We had planned to take the shuttle bus to the airport but were pleasantly surprised when our hosts volunteered to take us.  Joyce who had been poking some fun at me said it was because she wanted to make sure Vernon got on the airplane.  Atlanta airport, huge place, got there in plenty of time.  Don't think I have ever been on a plane train before, a computer ran train, door opens walk in, door closes, computer voice tells you this train is pulling out, rush of speed, better brace, computer voice, this train is stopping, better brace.  Repeat, repeat. Alarm, "someone is blocking the door". Cool. Saves walking.  We have not flown for years, take off belt, shoes, everything out of pockets, full body scan, Ruthie had to do a GSR (gunshot or gunpowder residue) test.  Don't know if it was random or she looked the type?  Glad she hadn't went to the range this morning.   Our plane was about 20 minutes behind schedule.  I rested for most of the two hour and 20 minute flight.  I spent some time thinking about how relaxing it was going to be at home.  Christmas at home fun and relaxing, you
Midnight New Years Eve, 12 below zero!

know what they say about the best laid plans.
     Our daughter Michelle (Bandana's by Michelle) picked us up at the airport.  Our sewer had froze the night before and she had to pull the top off the inspection pipe to get by,  My plans have now changed.   I spent the next few days before and after Christmas having the pipe thawed and steamed out.  Now preventative maintenance: digging to find the pipe path, and then shoveling enough snow to cover the pipe with at least three feet of snow.  First time I have ever used a wheel barrow to haul snow.  The neighbors probably wonder where I was going with it.   So why did it freeze?  It was a early freeze in Minnesota, the plumber didn't bury the pipe deep enough and their is a possibility that it wasn't installed at the correct angle to drain properly. (I went easy on the last one in case I have to apologize next year). The lack of depth is the key.  We don't want to be surprised again.  Taking the inspection pipe cover off (another point of contention, the plumber said it is normal to see water standing in the bottom of the pipe, everyone one else says you shouldn't.  Plumber = 1 general public = approximately 30,  I cooled down and stopped asking people not a great conversation starter)   I did some preventive maintenance, modified the cover with a float so it will come off instead of forcing the water into the house, made a sensor and wired it into our home sitter alarm so it will call us if it backs up and can now sleep at night. Back to Christmas:  Before our winter trip of 2012 we tried to have a celebration with Thanksgiving,  however you can't fool me, it just wasn't the same.  So purchasing some cheap tickets in October we thought we would try this, fly home for a couple of weeks and then rejoin our trike somewhere down South.  
.     We loved it!  Christmas with children and family Christmas Eve, watching them open
Christmas 2009 from left, Ruthie, Me, Jessie (who we
lost last year) Etta Mae, Floyd, Arvilla.
presents.  A get together with Ruthie's brothers, sisters and their spouses.  Several get together at the Pioneer Club Wabasha MN to see neighbors and friends.  I had a pretty simple Christmas list, some chocolate items and black socks.  (got 16 pair, should last me)  We gave Tom his gift we had gotten in West Virginia, Enough snow and below zero weather to know why we travel in the winter.   Ruthie's present?  Still in the works, hope it turns out well, will let you know.

     Update:  At least I know of one person reading the blog.   February 10, 2014 A phone call from sister Arvilla and the conversation led to the blog and I said I needed to change something.  Oh you can change things? (hmmm wonder where this is going) Why is there something I need to correct?   "You mentioned all the people you visited at Christmas and she lists them (good recall). Yes I said!  Well you visited your sisters and you didn't mention it!  Arvilla visiting with Etta said Vernon is probably mad at me because he claims I wrecked his bike by hitting the rock pile beside the barn, but what did you do to him?  I've got to fix this.   While we were home for Christmas we had lunch with Arvilla, her husband Floyd and Etta Mae.   We visited and had dinner.  On New Years day we stopped by and had snacks while we played cards, I'm sure some mention was made of my father who would have been 114 on this date.  It was great to see them again.  (there I think that should fix everything except my bicycle, I think it was a JC Higgins Huffy model) Come to think about it the front wheel may have gotten tweaked a little when I laid boards over hay bales to do jumps.
     This is starting to remind me of the St Charles Press when I was little, they would call ladies in the area and the next week you would read.  Dover news: Minnie stopped by the Frank Polzin's Tuesday for coffee.   Or Mildred, Edith, Maxine, Olive, Meta, Marie, Dorothy, and Violet met in the Elmira Church basement on Thursday evening, coffee and bars were served.  (These are the actual names of the ladies in the Elmira area, It is just 4 miles south of Dover MN)  Trying for extra points by including a family picture.  I think I'm back in the family circle, Ruthie has her doubts. 
"My grandparents ride a WHAT?"

     The picture on the right will show you that abuse does not take a holiday.  Not realizing the evil that lurks out there our daughter Katrina posted it on Facebook, it seems that little Aryia had been in line for over 1/2 hour chanting Santa HO HO HO the entire time.  However when she hit the gentlemen's lap here are the results.  Abuse not evident yet.  Our other daughter Michelle (Bandana's by Michelle) added a comment (remember she rides a Harley) "This is my niece and nephews getting their picture taken with Santa.  I laughed so hard when I saw poor Aryia's reaction, but then I heard what Santa whispered in her ear that made her cry.  He told her that her grandparents ride a Goldwing!!!"   I guess her Harley lovin' aunt will have to comfort her. 
     There was a wonderful New years dinner and celebration at Club, dinner and dancing and with a special treat at midnight.  Remember it is Minnesota, snow and over 12 below zero without the wind chill.  We stepped outside and Gary had arranged fireworks, what fun!  Some stepped inside before the finale, however knowing in two days I would be back in Georgia I stayed until the end. 
     Snapped a picture by Frontenac of the ice fishing village as we drove by on the way to the airport.  

No comments:

Post a Comment