Wednesday, January 28, 2015

117 The other side of the story!

     
Although the training session went well in Glendale it was obvious that Jamie was not comfortable with all that horse ownership entailed.  I tried to reassure her that there was no shame in finding them a suitable home and going back to the life she had before the horses had been placed in her care.   Our friends Rod and Linda from North Dakota visited us in Glendale and it gave us a chance to share our experience to date in the California desert.    
      Now it is time for the other side of the story or you will wonder why in the world we would go back if it was all work.  I don't think we every thought about it however the first two weeks we were not given any method to leave the ranch with our trike.  The solid cement wall was only broken by two electronic gates that required a code or electronic remote.  I'm sure they would have given it to us if we had asked, you would think so wouldn't you?  For the most part they were very sociable those first two weeks.  They seemed to take us in like family including us in activities showing and explaining the many things that drew people to this wonderful desert area.  Famous golf courses, world class tennis, National level horse jumping and polo, have you been to polo match?  We replied that we had seen it on the movie "Pretty Woman" and I'm sure they leaned to each other and whispered "hello country bumpkin".   When not observing and critiquing my training they were both occupied for much of the day in their offices tied to their computers fielding leads for their other business's.  It was usually late by our standards when they emerged and started to think about dinner.  The Don was very efficient in the kitchen and I believe could have been a gourmet chef.  The meals were very tasty and Ruthie started to be his sous-chef.  They took us with Yoda accompanying to
Ruthie working in the outdoor kitchen,  I apologize
I should have warned her before taking the picture.
wonderful restaurants,  The Don always seemed to flash the cash to cover the expenses.   In private I asked Yoda if he always picked up the bill.  She said she had tried to pay once and he said he would get it because he knew what she made.   That should have been enough for most people however when we went to the next place "The Nest".  Which they explained had been a very popular meeting place for "Hollywood" celebrities during its heyday.  Now it was more of a historic place where people came to meet, dance and perhaps a lonely widow could find a dance partner for the evening.  We had a couple of drinks and two hors d'oeuvres.   Thinking that this would be in my price range I asked The Don if he minded if I picked up the tab.  If you really want to go ahead was his reply.  As we were getting ready to continue the tour of the area I flashed some cash as I laid a $100 bill on the table the waitress leaned over and whispered "it will be more than that". I gulped and grabbed another one, almost a $140 plus the tip!  I think I wont be covering the bill on a regular basis.   Things are expensive here in the desert.   
     We received an email from our Minnesota friends Dave and Sandy.  They were in the area and we arranged to meet them at a local Italian restaurant.  Always pleasant to be around they traveled extensively in their motorhome.   Its reassuring to see a couple enjoying each others company.  Our winter travel routes have intersected at times and it was a special treat to get to see them. 
     Later that evening at the ranch one of the brood mares seemed restless and The Don readied her stall.  That night the first foal was born on our watch.  All legs and clumsy he struggled to gain his balance to nurse and in the end had to be started on a bottle to keep his strength .   The Don seemed very excited about this new addition noting the length of his neck the set and length of his legs that he would be special and someday we would see him in a prominent show ring carrier.  Quite a goal for the poor little thing that couldn't nurse on his own yet.  The mare was milked, the foal bottle fed until finally nature and his determination took over and he nursed on his own.  I was told he was my special project, (wait , I thought the crazy mare was my special project?).
     That week we watched more training videos, I made a chart to remember the horses names, sure hope they don't put them in different stalls or I will be sunk.   The colts were like students with a substitute teacher, they all reared during the week and acted up.  I started to think maybe a greeter at Walmart might have been an easier way to pay for our winter travels.  Protect yourself at all times from the movie "Million dollar baby" came to mind as one of the colts hit me in the back as we entered the bull pen one morning, nothing malicious, something had frightened him and I was just in its escape route.  Unless trained, horses have no respect for your personal space and if allowed can actually become quite the bullies.  They are masters of intimidation using the same techniques they would with their peers.  Their bodies are a weapon to intimidate and force their stall mates to bend to their will.   I regained my feet checking for injuries scolding myself as I retrieved my cap for that split second of blind trust I had placed in my young opponent.  If Bobbie had been on the podium I would have gotten a stern reprimand and a score card giving the first knock down to the colt.  I continued on, nothing broken and know one had seen so it was all good.  Now you are the only ones that know about the mishap.  
     Our second week continued doing my home work learning the regiment of the training method to be used on these young colts. Every morning I would put them thru their class with my three coaches alternating advice and direction form the viewing platform, (Bobbie, The Don and yes Ruthie). Ruthie would be up there with the pocket sized instruction manual in hand and a real desire to have the chance to coach.  "hold you hand a little higher, stand a little further away, your not at a 45 % angle, step two to the side and two back, well you get the picture and so it goes, the colts and I got two to three hours of coaching.   I think I'm doing better.  Yesterday Ruthie patted me on the head.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment