Sunday, February 1, 2015

120 Caddie ...


January 29, 2015
Ruthie rode the trike to Banning for our new front tire while I worked the colts. The reason for the tire leak is due to flaking of the chrome on the rim. Evidently the technician had either not seen or ignored the situation when he put on the new tire. What now? Replace the front chrome rim, expensive. I like to joke that one time for Christmas Ruthie had asked for something round and shiny so I had our front rim chrome plated for her. She did like her chrome. I think we will go for a trip to Walmart and a magic sealing solution, hopefully it will slow down or possibly seal the leak.
While she was gone the farrier showed up to trim the horse's hooves. The electric gate opened and he came riding in on a large muscled horse bedroll tied behind his saddle, canteen hanging front the horn. In tow was a pack animal with everything needed to trim and reform the horses hooves to maintain or correct their posture. He seemed tired and in no mood for anything that didn't get his chore done at the ranch so he could move on to the next string of horses.

"I apologize". That is probably just wrong however that's the way I pictured him in my mind. He actually arrived in a heavy duty white pickup with a sticker that said "Save second base" which he thought was a promotion for the national pastime. His name was Dirk and we visited while I held the colts for him. At one time he said he was born in the 1800's and barely made it to the 1900's "so what the heck is a blog anyway". With a ranch in northern Arizona he made his way to the southern California area weekly to impart his skill and wisdom to those that could afford and were willing to pay for it. Part vet, part philosopher,
definitely progun, anti Obama and pure American, I asked him if he had been doing this all his life? "not yet" he replied. He had me lead the colts away from him while he studied the stride and posture. Then I held them while the correction was made. As the horses reacted to his trimming he said "I don't mind them moving but I wont stand for meanness" his correction was quick and a little to harsh to my liking. I made a mental note to work extra hard on their lessons so they wouldn't incur his wrath on future appointments.

Our employer couple continued to treat us like family as they shared the highlights of the area and as a special treat they took us to Cactus Jacks in Indio. Even though they were very busy The Don seemed to expect and get special treatment and we were soon seated at a cozy table in the bar area. He pointed out actor William Devine as we enjoyed a wonderful prime rib dinner explaining that he had a ranch in the area that catered to polo players. 

Indian Wells Golf Course!
The Don mentioned that he was playing in a senior Pro/armature golf tournament tomorrow. A couple of drinks later he asked me to be his caddy. I hesitated a bit thinking the pro's bags were as tall as I am, then he told me on the senior tour they use carts. Okay I'm in! Just to be fair when we got back home I gave him an out so he could think about it with a clear head.

Saturday January 31st. The Don and I rode over his white corvette, how cool is that. I was introduced to our pro Jimmy Montecito, and Dave and Phil in from Canada, they probably despise people greeting them with "Eh" as much as we dislike "oh your from Minneeeesooooda". As caddie my job was to assist the pro, I soon found I spent more time raking sand and hunting for balls then I figured a pros caddie should. It was soon evident that The Don was the best golfer in the group, He also seemed to be a good coach, analyzing swings and giving advice. When the balls were on the green I was to pull the flag (pin) and stand quietly out of the way, there was some prize money at stake and I assumed the token caddie didn't get to share but I didn't want to take any chances. If I made them miss a putt?? Well there are five of







For a pro,, I think we spent way to much time off the course.
 them... On one of the greens Steve's good freind was closer to the flag when all the balls were on the green, as he pulled the pin he said "Hey Vern, do you know how much one of these weight? Not knowing I shot him a number admitting I didn't know. His reply "If you picked one up once you would know"! What a smart Alec, I bet he has been waiting the entire round to use that one. Best line of the day, thanks Mark . Well its mine now, can't wait to use it. His ancestors are from Oklahoma, maybe he is related to Will Rodgers. At every tee box there were ladies from the good gene club with samples from their sponsor, except the Bentley dealer.

This one is for Ruthie, she likes Patron!
  It was a memorable day. A get together after the round with lunch at the club house and a gift bag filled with bottles of liquor and souvenirs. A little more insight into The Don and his accomplishment. Yup, it was a good day, now back to the ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment