Monday, December 26, 2016

185 Chirstmas on the Prairie!

    Time was counting down pretty quickly until we fly home for Christmas.   Anxious to see family and friends we were already in the spirit of the season with our trips to Christmas in the colonies, mission Inn and light tour with Sterling and Lynda .   Our new friends Anthony and Juliette had graciously provided Ruthie with a nice winter coat to use so she didn't have to wear her motorcycle jacket every where.  Also sitting on our extra table (yes, we have two in our tiny house) was a "tiny" Christmas tree courtesy of them.  

      Looks like we can make a home where ever we are or as "Bobbie" once said "you two always land on your feet". 
     December 20th Lynda drove us to the San Diego airport for our flight, we had paid extra for tickets to coordinate our flight with our landlords upcoming trip. A two hour layover in Denver and we were soon landing in Minnesota. The trip would have been uneventful except we were forced to check our carry on bag, when we went to pick it up a not so automated door decided to close on a suitcase, sure hope there weren't any breakable presents in it. Evidently opening an automated door is much harder to open than a regular door. Finally an automatic door opener guy saved the day .
    This is Ruthie's favorite season and this year was no different.  I get more out of just being around family again.  The freezing weather is just a bonus.    Michelle picked us up at the airport and we headed home.   Stopping in Lake City to see my sisters Arvilla and Etta.  Michelle made a comment about the tater tot hot dish waiting for us, a Minnesota staple.
        From the pictures I'm posting it may seem like we pushed the fun barometer a little hard this year.   Please forgive us we only had seven days and two of them were for travel.   There always seems to be some special moments to remember, and this year was no different........
    My Peaceful Christmas morning took a dramatic U turn. Our daughter Michelle (Bandanas by Michelle) was trying to do her part to act as a couples mediator between Ruthie and I. However if you are familiar with Michelle you know somebody is going to get hurt. She as usual was taking her mothers side, commenting frequently on "my" attitude and tone of my responses. If she keeps trying to help us I'm sure we'll be dividing things up and drawing up papers shortly. I reached a moment where I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath.. I pulled the little vial that I carry around my neck and reminded everyone in the room that Lefty Loosey righty tighty. So that if the need arose they could retrieve my medicine. (one of my concerns is a good Samaritan not being mechanically minded enough to open the vial, there are no opening instructions on it.) Seeking a break and knowing I wasn't going to win I retreated to the bathroom to gather my wits. Michelle followed shouting through the door. "Are you okay?". I shouted back "just leave me alone". She replied, "I'm just trying to remember that Lefty righty thing so I can get your cyanide out should you need it". So my friend if you see me laying on the floor grasping my chest, keep Michelle away from me please. Cyanide? Really?
    My grandson Colton also provided some humor.  His Christmas list included a full military uniform, a net big enough to put a person in and a key that would unlock any door.  (a little concern here.)   However on another note, he went into his room and collected items to wrap for others.   I got a regifted cap, Ruthie a model car on a stand and buck his dog got a empty water bottle, because evidently he likes the sound when he crushes it.   
     Within walking distance of our Minnesota residence is the Pioneer Club, you can dine and watch the barges go up and down the Mississippi river or see railroad trains on the Wisconsin shore.  On summer weekends there is a band playing in the other section.  Not unlike "Cheers" friends and neighbors gather there a couple of times a week to visit and reconnect.   Tonight the fireplace was adding to the warm feeling when friends gather.  Everyone was in a holiday mood and after a few beverages evidently my Christmas gift from Michelle came up.  (Michelle again, bound to be trouble.). They are called quarter chaps, a modern version of the full length leather chaps this one extends from just above the knee down to and covering the top of your shoe.    She had sought my impute into the gift and I had chose a nylon insulated pair with reflective piping.  Bob is a motorcycle friend of hers so we will give him a little advertisement.
      I'm not sure if Bob will approve of the way his chaps were displayed tonight.  Hopefully he has sense of humor.  It started at the house where I modeled them for the family.  We soon discovered that the reflective piping lit up when videotaped.   I did a few dance moves (yes, I have moves).   Well someone mentioned the chaps, one thing let to another and I went and retrieved them.  Soon I was helping my friend Janet put them on.    I think the consensus was that she looked much better modeling them then I did.   Ungrateful! 
     They say if you cant make fun of yourself who can or something like that , well I don't have to with fiends like Tom, Wes and certain unnamed relatives ... In a phone conversation Wes took the high road and claimed that Tom mentioned my Christmas gift weren't really 1/4 chaps, they had been purchased in the children department.    I can't come up with a reply to this.  However it might give you an idea why I'm like I'am! 
    The evening at the Pioneer was so much fun I feel I should publicly apologize to everyone there.   Memories, got to love them.  
     The next day Michelle and I braved the cold, placed our vehicles safely in the shop until spring and walked back to the house.  It was
Hurry up Dad and take the picture,
its freezing out here!
just far enough to remind us why we choose motorcycles in the south instead of warm vehicles in Minnesota.
     The day before leaving found us with Ruthie's sisters and their husbands at sister Donna's.   While we men were relaxing normally in one room.   There was a lot of commotion and giggling coming from the other part of the house.   I believe just one picture  from that day will give you an idea what kind of foolishness was going on in the other room.   
     Is this a normal family Christmas picture?   Photo bombed by a dog?   Again Michelle was involved .  Any questions. 
 
 
Here's wishing all of you a safe and happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment