Sunday, January 29, 2017

191 A circle ride

      The plan is simple.  A circle ride going East on interstate 10 to Phoenix Arizona see as many people as we can in a short time, drop down to the bottom of the state and return by another route.  However the frequent rain might make it a challenge.  
A quick stop for dental records and this car
from Idyllwild confirms why we
winter in the valley.
    Wednesday the 25th we bundle up against the cold knowing it won't be long before we are warmed as we pass thru the windmill pass and into Coachella Valley.
 
     Leaving Hemet valley the rise and fall of the road gives us glimpses of the Big Bear mountain and just before we enter the freeway by Beaumont it comes into full view, pretty impressive. 

         With freeway speeds it doesn't take us long to enter the pass between the mountains we have nicknamed windmill pass.  Both sides of the valley lined with windmills to catch the wind coming between the mountains.  On the other side temperatures ranging form 10-15 degrees warmer.  Feels good! 


      On the way to the Phoenix area we stopped at Indio and stayed over night with our vendor friends Larry and Lee Annette. They were making their signature thank you meal to the local moose lodge and we were invited to join in. A seafood feast. What a treat. And the best part we got to sit back and listen to Larry tell stories about his life. Lee has them to but she has to say “shut up Larry” to tell hers.
Reminder to drink your orange juice.
     One time I interjected that it was my turn to talk, I don’t recall that working.  For the most part we just relax and listen.  At one time one of them said he has told his stories so many times he has them numbered and on cue Lee says #98 and they both burst into laughter.  Fun couple.  A couple of days later.  Yeah, it takes me a while, I remembered the rest of the joke.  A man walks into a bar and people are yelling out numbers and the crowd is laughing.  After the bar tender explained what I just told you the newcomer thought he would try it and shouted out a number.  The bar was deathly silent. Looking puzzled the bar tender explained “some people can tell jokes and some cant”. 
      Both of their lives are filled with events that people not living on the edge may not understand. The ups and downs have made them what they are today. From the rolls Royce they owned that got 3 miles to the gallon, a pilot in Viet Nam, owning a motorcycle dealership to the time he almost rode the bucking bull. On a whim riding a dirt bike on a cross country track . Perhaps showing off a little on a jump spinning the handlebars cockeyed at the height of the jump apex for the traditional photo opportunity, that being the last thing he remembers of that ride. Waking up in the hospital broken ribs, broken arm, skin missing from his hand, said they cut a slit in his stomach to put his hand in to avoid infection. His comment on not being able to use either arm “Now that was inconvenient”.  
     Neither of us slept very well that night and after breakfast at Sloan's in Indio we were soon up to freeway speed on interstate 10.   Passing thru Quartzite with the qypsy RV'ers scattered across the desert almost made us feel normal.   The desert floor rising as we head East is offset by the Sun rising and it remains comfortable to us as we fly toward Phoenix.   About a hundred miles from our destination it warms as we lose altitude.   I feel a little strange mentioning that the cactus's that now appear in the desert give me a sensation of home coming.  How can a cactus give you comfortable feeling?   Got to be something wrong with me.  However ever one is different, some like the Mormons Joshua trees seem to have their arms (is that what they are called?  I would feel strange calling them appendages.) outstretched as if to welcome us.  Is the heat getting to me?  However there were 3 over by themselves that in my opinion had their arms displayed in an inappropriate gesture.  
     Arriving at our North Dakota friends Rod and Linda it felt good to get off the trike and relax.  Always friendly and caring it felt good to be among friends.  Linda is a great hostess and planner and today was no exception.   Today relax dine and play cards until late.  The 27th we hit the Mesa flea market, a traditional stop for tourist and bargain hunters.  At least a block or more of vendors offering wonderful deals and aisles of goodies to wander thru. 
     Prairie friend Wes comments often when planning a ride with Ruthie wondering how many people she will talk to.  So here we are a couple of thousand miles from Minnesota in a Valley with around five million people.  What's the chance.   Of course a shout of  "Hi Ruthie!"  across the crowded market space and Jackie approached  giving her a big hug.  A school mate of mine from Dover-Eyota High school.  We spend a few hours at the market.  Again more great food and cards until the wee hours.  Linda wisely retired early informing us of the next days schedule.   I believe there may have been a cautionary warning in there for Rod just to make sure he didn't stay up to late and miss tomorrows roll call.


January 28. Let's title this day Thrift shop marathon Saturday.

And the instructions said leave the house at 8:30 as there will be a line at Goodwill trying to make use of the 50% off sale. As soon as the doors open grab a cart, scatter thru out the store, fill your cart, text when your done, we will meet and sort our items. Then on to the next thrift store. Are you serious? We were on a trike filled to 110% capacity, there were only a couple items I wanted and one brought skepticism from our hosts. I mean seriously what are the chances of finding passenger armrest for a 1999 Valkyrie trike. Well that's what Ruthie wanted and by gosh I was going to find them. Since they weren't manufactured for them my plan was to manufacture a set for it. I remember seeing office chairs with arm rests on a single piece of metal that went straight down and then curved and bolted to the bottom of the chair. I figured if the metal strength was sufficient I could bend them to go down beside the seat and bolt to the fender underneath it. Its 8:30 ready set go! Not real good at following directions. I didn't think it was necessary to grab a cart. Trying to be a joker I tried to sneak some extra items into Rods cart, didn't work, evidently when you are in a thrift store you need to be vigilant and monitor your cart. I'm sure if we had been in a grocery store I could have put a couple of boxes of breakfast cereal in there and he would have paid for them and not been the wiser. But no, try and sneak one 6x18 inch decorative plague into his cart and Rod becomes Mr Security guard. So much for some fun. Checked out the office chairs, no arm rest. Found one to sit on until every one was done. A reprimand from Linda, you were supposed to text me when you were done! In my defense I thought before we entered the store she had said to tell her when I was done and I replied "I am done". Should have been sufficient I thought. Okay fine off to the next thrift store. This one was already open, I headed directly to the unsuspecting and unmarked Valkyrie arm rest section. Eureka or some other shout of joy. They had choices, a faded green office chair with cigarette burns on the seat and a tear on the side, however the arm rests were adjustable and the metal holding them was substantial. The other one was a safety hazard as I sat in it and almost went over backward to the delight of a couple of fellow thrift shoppers. Again the metal uprights were substantial. I phoned my co-rider for her opinion since they were a gift for her. I told her I was back by the furniture as the Valkyrie accessory section was not clearly marked. I didn't know if she would like the extra thickness of the one with the adjustable height or go for the sleekness of the solid ones. She went for comfort. It was half price day, of course that's why the hordes of shoppers were here today. I grabbed my prize and started pushing it to find an employee. It pushed like a shopping cart with a broken wheel. Avoiding several near collisions with my half tag shopping associates I finally found a blue shirted saint. Explaining that I wanted to pay for the chair, remove the armrests, and re-donate the chair back to Goodwill. He didn't seem to think it was as strange as our host did. I didn't think it necessary to tell him it was for a motorcycle. A hex head wrench a little monetary tip for his generosity snuck under our blog card since he wasn't suppose to accept tips and we were at the checkout. Half price brought it to $2.99, probably the cheapest motorcycle add-on ever.





Eureka!
I was done, went outside bought some Samoa cookies from the little girl scout outside, walked to McDonald's for some coffee, around the block to a bank for an ATM, back to Rods truck and relaxed for the next store. Ruthie was out almost immediately followed by Rod. After a crushing blow at the initial store I think poor Rod was a little disillusioned with todays mission. Even though he had rejected my addition to his precious cart he had managed to select several key items. However when he met for the prearranged group meeting to sort the items the group leader made him put every thing back. Evidently there was an undisclosed guide on what was an acceptable purchase. Perhaps the antique wall phone missing the speaking horn for $49 cut today to less than $25 that he had to put back was the deal breaker. He seemed crushed and although he tried to smile I'm not sure if he will ever be the same. He tried to joke that there was probably someone in there right now buying it with the idea of selling it to American pickers for $500 I don't think it helped. I couldn't look at him anymore. He was a broken man. I had hoped that the next store would lift his mood however I have to confess that my happiness with my purchase didn't help. In retrospect I should have just hidden my Valkyrie passenger armrest in the bag and kept quiet. I will have to make it up to him. The three of us visited, watched parking lot traffic and commented on the line of vehicles dropping off donations while smiling shoppers came out the other door with their purchases. Its going out as fast as their bringing it in. Soon, almost immediately, within minutes, before we knew it, after awhile Linda returned to the vehicle. We only had time for the two stores as they had golfing plans and we were headed to Cave Creek to visit daughter Michelle.










I can't believe I missed the

quilt display.

I was made aware of a change in our schedule, Michelle and her friend Bruce had invited us to go with them to a blue grass festival. Since it was South of the area by Casa Grande we met them not far from Rod and Linda's, abandoned the motorcycles and rode In Bruce's vehicle.


I don't believe I have ever been to a blue grass festival. Toe tapping, Leg slapping, hand clapping fun. American fun, and the home of the smallest metal bleachers made. Get to know your neighbor, if the seat is empty in front of you it makes a great footrest, if it is occupied spread your knees on either side of the strangers shoulders. I think there should be a rule that if you bring kettle corn to the bleachers you should bring enough for your new neighbors.






Dwarf car?
A miniature railroad display, hayrides, a car show, food vendors and the air filled with lively music. A great day. Now on to Michelle's quarters. A generous Facebook friend was renting her a huge home they were trying to sell. Sparsely furnished with a bed, card table, a couple of chairs and her bandana business supplies and work station. She seems to make do with what she has.



Michelle is a gracious hostess and we soon had a delicious Rib eye dinner complete with wine. An effort to use the phone's timer to capture the moment turns into a comedy event as I misjudged the timer. Our bellies and hearts full Ruthie and I settled in one of the rooms on a plush air mattress. Half circle complete we will spend a couple of days with Michelle before moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment