Friday, March 22, 2013

48 Happy Trails!

    Tuesday February 12th  Today is our 10th day at Stillwell's What happened to two days and we are gone?  I'm so glad we are flexible, think of all the memories we would have missed.   This will be more of a picture post,  less talking and they all said "Amen."
    So first a quiz, what is your caption for the picture below?  Could be Isometrics 101?  maybe I wish my electric cord was longer.  I never park in the right spot to suit her, oh sure a foot to the left, no problem if it's a couch!   I'm doing my part, going green, no electric slides for me.
     The last one was close.  The electric slide didn't work well and he had to lift and push while his wife hit the switch.
 As soon as we were awake we started tearing down and packing for the ride.   We are always excited to be on the trike on our way to new adventures.  Eldon had said we could still change our mind. 
     As we were stowing our things away.  A team and wagon pulled up it was Jeanne from the trail ride.  .  Neat lady, she displays two flags when she travels, the one on the left is the Marine flag.  ( Son-in-law Bill would be proud, he always gives me grief about the Navy) she lost her husband in Vietnam and has nothing but praise for the way the Corps helped her with raising and educating their three children.   "Ooh-rah!
      She took us for a ride around the campground and down to the strip.  Jack and Jake pulled the wagon easily, when she went into a turn I was surprised to hear her use a verbal command.     Of course I'm not around a team every day, but I don't think I have heard anyone use spoken words to direct animals since I was on the farm with my parents. Gee is the cue to turn right and Haw indicates a left turn, use that next time you go to oxen training class and you will impress the rest of the students
    Here you get a view from inside the wagon with the other team coming toward us.   That is Juanita and her team, I believe Jack and Jill.  She received a blow to her head one morning that would put most of us out of commission, but there she is back in the drivers seat.  Notice the rear view mirror. 
     I give these ladies a lot of credit, it's a lot more work to hook up a team than throw a saddle on a riding horse.  We were almost back to our home ( tiny camper) when she said "here you train horses, take em home."  and handed me the reins.  Having spent my youth driving my fathers and neighbors teams for field work and on the threshing crew, I have to admit this felt like someone had handed me something very precious to them.  What an honor, It was exciting knowing the power at the end of those reins.  Thank you Jeanne! 
Kay & Ethelene
 


String and Thelma Lou!
     She left to join the rest of the trail riders for the photo op in front of the Store. 
   We took pictures of the riders and then I ran ( yes ran) to get in front of them to take a few more shots. 











      I believe this is the 26th year for the Trail ride.  The trail boss is Peggie, what an undertaking.  Everyone calls her Red Horse I went immediately to her sorrel horse, nope, then her red hair, nope, It was because her husband works for Mobil oil the one with the flying red horse for their logo, she said "that red horse has been supporting this red horse ( referring to her self) for many years.   In the picture she is the one leading them down the road, safe travels Red Horse.
Thelma Lou? and ??????
Their was one twilight moment that I can't explain.  ( I guess that's why they call it a twilight moment.)  I didn't realize until I was choosing and editing the pictures for this post that I have a picture of  Thelma Lou?  with no string on board.  Can't figure it out,  I thought it was maybe one of those things where he is invisible in pictures,  or you can't capture his spirit,  maybe he is actually riding her but the camera didn't capture his image?  I think I will stop thinking about it!   Can you solve this mystery?  

      During this stay we have logged over 500 miles just wandering in and around Big Bend.  The end button is where Stillwell's is located.  If you want an interactive click  Map    
   
     I don't know what happened, at the beginning I said less talking didn't I.  I apologize.
     Loaded, the camper hooked to the trike we said a couple of more good-byes, our neighbor Janet came over and gave us a couple of Russell Stover chocolate treats for the road and we were on the road again.   This has been a wonderful stop, we leave with a permanent place in our soul's for the people, Stillwell's and Big Bend.







3 comments:

  1. Vern & Ruthie,
    It was a pleasure to have you in camp during our 26th Annual Big Bend ~ Stillwell Ranch Trailride & Wagon Train. Regarding the mule without her rider, all I can figure is String went to get his guitar!

    Thank you so much for the "brown water" for my farewell speech at the BBQ and Dance on Monday. With the Stillwell Ranch selling, I felt it was time to call it the "End of the Trail". Twenty-six years was a great adventure leading riders through the Stillwell Ranch and Trans-Pecos country.

    Thanks for the kind words,
    Happy Trails,
    Redhorse,
    Trailboss

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! I couldn't believe our good fortune to have the trail ride while we were at the Stillwell's. A dream come true for a horse lover like me. By the way it took a while but I figured out the String mystery. I will email you to keep it a secret for a while. Ride safe on that new mule. Vern and Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you view the interactive map, make sure you hit the replay on this one. It's a hoot! It looks like all we did was ride the trike back and forth. Some will say, no wonder it took them three months to see Texas.

    ReplyDelete