Sunday, December 15, 2013

74 Swinging Bridge

Nov 8

We get it packed every time!
     It was 39 degrees by the time we were loaded to ride.  I probably should discuss the wind chill effect on motorcycle riders.  There are several charts and they vary by a few degrees.  The one I checked calculated 40 degrees at 40mph as 10 degrees.  Kind of strange once you reach temperatures of 100 the wind actually makes it hotter.  Oh well we have gloves and heated jackets and with the winding roads I don't anticipate any high speeds today.
     We had one stop to make on our way out of Ansted.  I had a couple of obstructions in getting started this year on the blog.  Replacing my laptop with the tablet saved a lot of space, however the loading of web sites and information took some time.   The information stored on the word processor and now transferred to this tablet turned out to be unusable.  Computer people will get a chuckle out of this.  It was saved in Works format and my new Word program didn't recognize it.  I had no idea I was so far behind.   There was a conversion program available however I couldn't use it on my tablet or the lodge computer.   Also a dead end on the phone. 
  On one of our day trips I had seen a sign company from my work with copiers I knew they should have what I needed.  The only question, would they do it for me?   William and Crysty from  L& S Designs proved what small town business can be like.  After I explained my problem, that had been part of the problem at some business places, they had no idea what I was talking about.  (I'm glad Ruthie can't comment at this time.)  They invited me behind the counter, pulled a chair up to the computer and let me do it myself.   We ordered a screen printed shirt as a Christmas present for a friend back home.  They said we could pick it up on our way out of town.  Many thanks!
     Riding up and down the Appalachian mountains the temp ranged from 34 up to a high of 44, our speed was reduced due to the twisty roads so the wind chill was negligible.   However as the day wore on I could feel my throat getting a little tight and scratchy, not a good sign. 
    Steve from Hawks nest had suggested our destination,  the swinging bridge restaurant in Paint Bank Virginia  It was in the middle of nowhere but they must have had quite a drawing as there were at least 30 vibrator pads to give to customers waiting for their table.  Because of the time we arrived we were able to be seated immediately.  Apple pie and hot chocolate still trying to warm up .  There  was a porch used in milder weather.  We noticed a BBQ grill shaped like a coal train and many sets of bean bags on the lawn.  I am sure this is a popular spot for people from the large cities, a rural country store, souvenirs from the country and a little escape from the big city and of course the swinging bridge in the middle of the dining room, how unique..
     We crossed into North Carolina on our way to Tom and Colleen's, motorcycle club members
from  Kernersville NC.  On the way in we seen a billboard that said Fix a Friend, I thought it might be an internet dating service, found out later it was an animal hospital where they neutered animals.  You have to be careful out there.  We soon arrived at their beautiful brick home and we were greeted by these two little mites.  If you are accepted by the pets you are in the circle.  To keep the record straight I did not take the pictures, Colleen took them with my camera.  Two Gold Wing's one a trike sat in the garage.  One sported a Marine flag, to late I was wearing my Navy hat.  Tomorrow November 10th  is the Marine Corps Birthday.  Checking in with family son-in-law Bill (a marine) was happy to hear we were in good hands.  His favorite thing is to tease me about not knowing when the Navy birthday is.   Once a Marine always a Marine.  Tom is a computer genius, if I had felt better I would have loved to see Colleen's palomino.  There were pictures of him on the wall, beautiful horse.  They took us to one of their favorite sports bar.  I remember we loved the bar chips. 
    The next morning the scratchy throat had turned into a full blown cold.  After a great breakfast, we bid our good byes and headed East.  Wonderful people hope we see them again.
      Our goal was the Carolina coast maybe even Virginia.  I was not having a pleasant day chills had started evidently a fever had set in.  We stopped for a gas and a bite to eat in Roanoke Rapids.  It didn't take much effort for Ruthie to talk me into getting a motel for the night.  We spent two days there while I recuperated and gained some strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment