Saturday, October 29, 2016

176 Conversations with Lynda

    While Ruthie was slowly moving items from our dresser to the take on a trip pile.   I started receiving texts from Lynda our toy hauler landlord in California.  It was very reassuring to have contact with them.  Even better she started sending pictures, this was either the real deal or a very elaborate scam. 
I liked them already!
      The picture of Sterling and Lynda was most welcome. Sometimes you try and picture a person from their voice. My thoughts were the picture showed a loving couple, she was beautiful with perhaps a look of “you know I didn’t do it or it really wasn’t my fault” "how can you even suspect me" he on the other hand could have been a body builder or perhaps a tough guy with a little mischievousness in his eyes, he reminded me of Larry the cable guy so I was sure I would like him. 
     I started teasing Ruthie that I had a new friend in the West and asked if she was getting any texts?  At one point she mentioned that they liked the name Ruth and that their wedding vows had been taken front he book of Ruth.  As a matter of fact they already had someone on the ranch named Ruthie. 
Their "spoiled Ruthie"

    I found a photo of the two of us that I wanted to send however Ruthie vetoed it saying we didn't know them that well yet.
What do you think?  To much!
     Ok, fine.  I fired back this picture of my spoiled Ruthie.

     The texting went back and forth as she added information and pictures of the ranch and the area we would be living in.    With every message we felt better about our decision.  It felt more like we were going to see an old freind.  Some of our nervousness about our Craigslist booking was wearing off.  Now if I don't talk to Wes for a few days I will be okay.
     More inquires into our likes and activities to do in the area and then one day she asked if Ruthie liked to cook?   I think I replied that she did and she is an excellent cook.  The reply, "oh good, I'm putting her down for appetizers for our progressive supper."   Wow! We felt like we had just been accepted into a prestigious club.  How can we be so lucky.  Years before we had been involved in a progressive supper and remembered how much fun it was.  Remember, you eat appetizers at one friends, move to the next have the next course and so on.   I believe it was a few days later we received an activity schedule for November and December.   Yes that's right a schedule, mostly weekend activities, two that caught our eye was the first weekend we were there Ruthie was doing appetizers for the progressive supper and the next month dinner was at our house around our campfire.  We couldn't believe our good luck.  This was going to be a great winter.  Looks like we won't be working with horses and projects from 6 AM until dark.  What a welcome change. 
     One of the texts mentioned that they played Hungarian canasta and that Sterling liked to win.  When I showed Ruthie she said "to bad for Sterling, I like to win too.".  We had played canasta years before while in the Navy.  We thought we had better look up the rules and practice a bit.   Unfortunately my searches didn't produce the rules for a Hungarian version.  It only came back with how to say canasta in Hungarian.  I mentioned this to Lynda and she said its just like regular canasta except with more cursing.  I think we are going to like these people.  
     One day she asked if I liked woodworking?  I said. "A little caution creeps into my mind before I answer this. You asked if Ruthie liked to cook and pretty soon we received a schedule with her providing appetizers for a progressive supper and a meal by the campfire.  If I admit that I can do woodworking will I get a schedule where you farm me out to the neighbors for work?". Ruthie made me add that I was teasing. 
     Preparations continued for our six month winter trip.  I think I seen a bag with a heated blanket move close to the door and then one day it was removed and some other belongings took its place.  I'm starting to worry if our little trailer waiting in Arizona will be big enough however I kept my silence, Ruthie was packing and I best not get in her way. 
     Due to the tension and conflict between us "the Don and Bobbie" the last few weeks at the ranch over the work load, unreasonable expectations (in our humble opinion) and their management style. ( if you can call it that)  We were perhaps a little surprised when an olive branch was extended from the ranch.  "The Don" texting me to continue our standing wager on the Minnesota Vikings football used it as opportunity to ask me to give him a call.  Seems they are expecting seven foals to be born in 2016 from January to April and wanted me to do the imprinting and early training.  There was an offer to live off the ranch in a two bedroom home with a pool.  I mentioned that we already had lodging secured in Hemet California however maybe we could work something out as an on-call basis.  I typed up a proposal with times, training schedule and wages expected. (I think I have finally learned my lesson.  With these two it has to be very specific and in black and white.)  I received a vague text warning us of our safety living in Hemet.  Of course I replied with what I considered a humorous response.  Texting back that I hoped it wasn't the Craigslist killer that neighbor Wes was warning us about.  He didn't respond, then Ruthie and I both got a call from "Bobbie". I visited with her about the position, she wanted us to stay there full time to be there when the foals were born.  I reminded her of the conflict with Ruthie, she didn't remember it.  I certainly did.  I think word for word.  Let me see if I can.?
     Lets see Ruthie had entered the room and observed "Bobbie" belittling me for perhaps over stepping my boundaries while doing a repair.  While Ruthie perhaps might be one of the most gentle people I know, she wont stand by when family is concerned.  Stand back "Bobbie" here it comes.  Ruthie went on what seemed an hour lecture about what her and I had been through while working for "the Don and Bobbie".  Her final words "You know as people you at times are very giving and we like being around you, (she just has to throw in a compliment, but wait for it, here it comes.)   however to work for and with,  you two are the worst people we have worked for in our entire life"!  
    No, seriously Ruthie why don't you tell us how you really feel.  Yup, can't believe that still isn't ringing in her ears.  I thought we would be on the trike that night heading out of town.  But we stuck it out.  Perhaps a little less interaction the last few weeks. 
      I didn't waver and at the end suggested she start looking elsewhere for help.  Mentally I actually liked the idea of letting the foal bond with the mare, nurse and rest before starting the imprinting process however it didn't seem like the time to discuss it with her.  She dropped some more innuendoes but would not give specifics about our proposed winter home.  Seemed like a desperate scare tactic to me.   One more call from "the Don" about the position claiming he didn't know "Bobbie" had called us.  Don't they talk?  Basically the same conversation, they wanted us to be at the ranch full time.  We only wanted to train and flood the new foals and be gone.  Trying to be nice I didn't burn any bridges.  I told him I might advertise on Craigslist to train/flood new foals.  He wished me luck, but didn't think I would get any replies. 
     I think we will be seeking other lodging for all future winter trips. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment