Saturday, November 12, 2016

181 Californa, a melting pot!

     Trying to recall the last few days my head is spinning, no, not like Linda Blair's just thinking about a lot of things.   The schedule we received two months back was not a joke, it had over 20 events scheduled thru December.  It is a living breathing entity, additions, deletions amendments, Lynda is serious about this, Sterling not so much.  She is a master at planning I don't know how she can look into the future and decide what she wants to do and see.   Her and Sterling have included us in activities with their friends and tries to schedule events to expose us to all the area has to offer.   We have already had a couple of campfires in the yard with friends. 
 
November 11,   Checking the calendar today is garage sale Friday.  A drive over to Canyon lake and Lynda's friends. The home of million dollar homes inside a gated city with equestrian centers, a lake with canals, one end for ski competition and the other for relaxing.  And the best part thrifty garage saleing with new Hungarian friends Gabe and Eva.  I don't know if I know another Hungarian couple, maybe they are the source of the cursing in Hungarian canasta?   Don't know, it was a great day.   We were able to upgrade our towel and wash cloth inventory for two dollars, added four drinking glasses to our stock two for a dime each and over paid fifty cents each for two other guest glasses.  Oh yes and one more memorable item I fell in love with a 1929 silver plated alto saxophone manufactured in Elkhorn Wisconsin.  There went our garage sale budget. 

    Saturday morning piano lessons on YouTube, still trying to decide if I have any musical ability.   I had already fired one instructior and was now on the website of another one.  But what about my saxophone? 
     Noticing that Ruthie and I had worked on projects on our other winter trips our hosts visited with us about some work around the ranch.  Mornings we had been putting in some time on a board fence and with the help of friend Jerry back in Minnesota we had been analyzing the wiring schematic for a Craftsman lawn tractor.  Evidently someone had removed,  cut, and jumped some of the wiring and switches.   "Just make it so it works, I'm tired of dealing with it"  were my instructions.   My belief is they were including us in some projects to help our budget due to the higher than expected airline tickets for Christmas as Sterling seemed not only capable but enjoyed working around the acreage.   Ruthie and I had been making good progress on the fence just putting in a couple of hours each morning.  I had noticed a slight discomfort in my left side but decided to keep it to myself.   A couple of days later it again bothered me so I mentioned it to Ruthie.  I'm hoping this wasn't the hernia repair I just had repaired two months prior.  We will keep it quiet and deal with it. 
     Saturday morning it seemed like there was a push on for the upcoming holiday get together.   Sterling Ruthie and I worked on the fence until she abandoned me to run errands with Lynda, it seems Ruthie was in charge of strawberries for the scheduled event of the evening I think it was listed on the calendar as dessert with friends and a campfire. 
    After lunch I continued on the fence with Sterling with the main part done I told Sterling I was finished for the day.  Keeping quiet about the real reason for quitting.    The discomfort in my side had increased, a sick feeling entered my mind that it had someway came loose,  I remember the Doctors warning that they don't like to redo surgery and almost positive Mayo Clinic has no warranty policy.  
 

     It looks as if turkey Bobbie will be a featured guest on the blog this year, taking the place of beautiful Arabian horses.  She seems to have her own personality.  As her babies have grown and gotten more independent she seems to be spending more and more time with Ruthie and I.  In this picture she has flew over our fence and landed on our spool.  She seems to be staying very still, perhaps she thinks we can't see her.  Today lets call her "ninja Turkey".  
     Last evening was a penciled in evening with neighbors one lot over.  Lynda had said the neighbors that live close are within walking distance Sterling drove as he planned on returning early to work on ammunition loading, What?    Lynda started out confidently leading the way with a flash light.   Out the front yard across the main road, thru the vacant neighbors drive and back yard.  Opening the gate we entered the pasture, now she didn't seem so sure of herself.   Half way she admitted she had never actually walked over by herself.  Well shoot as long as you know someone who has walked over it shouldn't be a problem.  I wished I had rode with Sterling!    Finding the exit gate was a bit of a problem as Lynda disappeared for a few moments I believe to the west somewhere, Ruthie chose to abandon me even though I had found a gate.  Fine, I seen the light where we were heading and trudged on with out a flashlight.  Now a problem, the fence of our goal had dogs barking.   Thankfully our host came with a flashlight quieting the dogs and directing us to the gate.  We were rescued.  Entering a beautiful home our travel education was about to soar.  Ruthie spent most of the early evening visiting with Juliet and watching her prepare the meal and create the crêpes that along with strawberries would be our desert.  From France, her mother had taught her the art.   California truly is a melting pot seated at the dinner table (which was unique in itself , made with railroad ties from India it seated 10 people with comfort and according to our hosts would also be their shelter if an earthquake hit.).  If we invited all of our neighbors back in Wabasha most would be within 50 miles of their birthplace except for Wes from Illinois.   Here the conversation was as varied as the guests, England, France, Germany, New York, New Mexico.  From holly carburetors, Spicer u-joints, the kilowatt output of a solar panel, the cubic feet per minute of a submersible pump to the crepe vendors in France using nutella (shocking, evidently Microsoft hasn't heard of Nutella, guess I will have to pull out our jar for a spellcheck) created in Holland.  It was like listening to a web page and then every few minutes somebody clicking on another page and the lecture continued in another direction.    This evenings hosts are a busy, ambitions family taking advantage of education and opportunities.  Their young daughter just started riding lessons so of course I was immediately interested.   And then to find out that their eleven year old son at the other end of the table not only is taking pilot lessons but has a flight simulator in his bedroom.  Well at least he and I have one thing in common, we both fill our crêpes to full to eat with any dignity.  I should have observed Anthony our host to my right, a dainty strip of nutella across the crepe followed by a pulsating strip of whipped cream from an aresol can creating a pastry like wave on top of the Hazelnut spread, fold both ends in and roll up.  Not wanting to demean any of the other guests techniques I will just say they weren't observed.  
     One of the thoughts that stick in my head from the international couples conversations I have listened to is the input they have had from their friends and relatives from their home countries in shock over the way the American people have  reacted after the election.  Protesting, burning flags, looting like spoiled children as Anthony mentioned who teaches children who have lived through challenges.   "It was a contest the person you chose to represent your team lost, now deal with it."   And then the shocker of all, he doesn't carry a phone, wouldn't that be wonderful, I'm trying to remember what it was like.  Smart man, when people ask how he can do it.  "its quite simple, we have a plan, the family knows it, what more do we need?  
   The evening came to a close and on the way home our brave leader Lynda led the way with her flashlight.   Its a little hard to recall the next few moments as she and Ruthie passed thru the final gate we had left ajar.  As I write this I'm reminded of a saying I have heard from time to time about brave men and women.  "They rush in to help while others are rushing out". I will let you decide if anyone here qualifies.  Suddenly Lynda started screaming  "I can't look, I can't go"  over and over again,  I think she was covering her eyes with a plastic bowl or something as she flew by me in the opposite direction.   Ruthie and I started using our phones as light to find the source of her fear.  We were searching the ground as on the hike someone had just mentioned rattlesnakes.   Our hearts were all racing and soon Anthony came across the lot to investigate and save us.   Lynda was so distraught she couldn't look or point at the "danger" It took some time before someone finally raised the flashlight beam off the ground and there it was.  Evidently it was very close to poor Ruthies head when Lynda had seen it.  One of the biggest possums I have seen, of course I'm no possum expert, but it seemed very big.   It seemed to be quite comfortable balancing on the gate.  
    Maybe this is one of the dangers Bobbie and The Don were trying to warn us about in Hemet!  Hmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment