Sunday, November 6, 2016

179 So now where are you two at?

      
The illusive John Wayne, not an
easy picture to get!
    One of the first animals Sterling introduced me to was a bantam size rooster named John Wayne.  Sterling cradled him in his arms and explained that he had a "little hitch in his get-a-long like his name sake.  We might have to do a little research as I think "John" favored his other leg.   Well it is now four in the morning and John Wayne is practicing his dawn call a little ahead of time and he seems to have stirred up some competition from a neighbors pen.  It took some doing to get his picture due to the bullying that goes on in the chicken yard, he tends to spend most of his day in the goat

yard. Since he woke me I will take a hint and tell you about our winter home.
      We were told that the residence was in the country however this isn't like most people would refer to as "country". Ruthie and I both were raised in the "country" we had to walk over a mile to our "country" schools. Neighboring
farms were most often out of sight and most days you didn't visit with anyone except family.  This residence is in a community made up of 3-6 acre parcels.   Diamond lake valley is a few miles from Hemet we can turn in every direction and view mountain ranges.  The mountain to the west has been filled in on both ends and the valley filled with water to form Diamond lake.  Quite a feat, I need to find out more information about California's water procurement efforts.  It is located on a cul-de-sac and I'm sure I could hit at least three neighbors homes with a nine iron.  On a good day I could hit at least a couple more with a five iron.  However I'm on my best behavior so will not attempt it.  At one time this was horse property, approximately 3 acres with the main residence, a nice barn now the home of a nesting turkey (we aren't telling her the eggs she hatched are chicken eggs)
Surrogate turkey and babies!

another turkey with two young turkeys.  Several chickens of varying colors and size responsible for a nice supply of fresh eggs.  In the pen outside are three goats.   Next to the residence is a very large pen where five Boston terriers reside.  When daughter Michelle was a toddler we owned one.  Everyone would quiz Michelle on what kind of dog she had.  Her response was "a Boston Terrible". 
 
    Our residence is smaller than we had planned.  The misconception arose from a mistake in the Craigslist ad, it was listed as 30 feet long.  The one waiting for us measures 24 by 7' 9" inside dimensions. Doing a little math I came up with 26,784 living space. Wow! I didn't think it was that big. Oops forgot to divide by 144 here it is 186 square feet. At least I haven't went into the next room and forgot why I went in there. The biggest factor other than losing a few feet which is a big deal when you are talking tiny house is the bedroom.
     The floor plan of the 30 foot has a bed that is placed with the length of the trailer, it would give you room to walk down both sides.  This one is set across the trailer which makes it inconvenient for making the bed and it is quite a step to get into it and over your partner.  Luckily we have a little stool we carry along and I'm working on flexibility anyway.  Lets make a positive out of this.  The main bedroom is to the right in this floor plan.  Take a look at the rest of the trailer it is laid out pretty conveniently.  . 


You might remember Ruthie wanted a place for guests.  At the rear of the trailer where you would haul your toys, motorcycles, four wheelers , what have you.  Is an area that we have put some lawn chairs and a little table in.   Now when we have guests we can push a button and two queen size beds drop down from the ceiling.

Pretty neat, we are anxious to have our first guests to test their stability.
     The disappointment of the bedroom layout didn't last very long as it was overshadowed by our landlords generosity.    We suspected before we arrived that they were special.  Within a few days it was obvious we had been very fortunate in our random Craigslist rental. 
      Our warm reception, caring for our well being, including us in activities with their friends and neighbors,  Dinner at Lemon grass with friends, bonfire in their yard.   Saturday Ruthie helped Lynda with Christmas decorating while Sterling and I ran some errands.   Back to the ranch that evening desert with neighbors and another bonfire.  On arrival I mentioned I came on the winter trip with three goals, lose weight, get in shape and learn 12 bar blues on the piano.  Within a few days they supplied me with a keyboard.   Yup, no excuse now.  I figure I will either learn it in 6 months or come to the conclusion that I have no musical ability at all.  Wonderful people, I think I will drop the landlord label and just go with friends.    However Sterling at times has mentioned instead of rent month to month we might change to "day to day".    
I can't remember ever taking
pictures of chickens before.

No comments:

Post a Comment