Wednesday, March 1, 2017

197 Goodbye to Hemet!

     Back at the ranch we rested for a day.  Okay it really wasn't a rest like most people think of.  But at least we weren't traveling somewhere.  We continued packing and gathering our things for our exit on March first.  
     Our search for lodging took a fruitful turn with a reply to my horse training/lodging search ad.   Susie by Cave Creek Arizona had a studio we could live in in exchange for some horse related chores, she and the set up sounded nice.    A couple of more emails and phone calls and although she would have rather had someone for more than the 40 days we could commit to it was confirmed.   A little relief knowing we had a place to live now with a few days before we move I can relax.

chocolate and Strawberry
     Saturday Feb 25th we were able to touch bases with our pioneer friend Scottie at his winter home in San Diego. Unfortunately a freeway full of weekenders were also headed to the same area. Today part of Ruthie's job was copilot, keep track of GPS and navigation, and now as we accelerated down the entrance ramp with several lanes of traffic traveling well above the posted limit she was the spotter, she checks over her left shoulder for a moving gap, "go white truck" and as soon as I see the white truck clear the area to my left, I accelerate and fall in behind the white truck. With six cylinders and a carburetor feeding each one it is kind of a rush to twist the throttle on the Valkyrie. She continues with her observations and commands, next lane gap, go red car accelerate until we have crossed six lanes of California freeway traffic and in the HOV lane and sailing down the highway, Catch me if you can!

I was intrigued by the roof on
this one.
 

     Arriving at Scotties he had the morning planned.  He was not new showing visitors his city.   A very successful man he had worked hard and was now enjoying the fruits of his labors.  A quick tour of his home and we were in his van headed for the city.  Our first stop was a famous hamburger stand featured on "Diners, Drive inns and Dives".  
Hodad's is famous for their burgers sometimes selling thousands a day.  The walls were filled with surfing and beach memorabilia.  Scottie had built up the reputation of the burgers and malts and this was his treat.  In the end Ruthie and I abandoned our habit of sharing our meal and each ordered one.  Big mistake, they were both huge and of course we finished them.  I'm glad Scottie was chauffeuring us around so we could relax.   I think in about a three hour tour (more successful than Gilligan's) we seen from his little tour van every notable site in San Diego. It would have taken most days to maneuver their way around a crowed tourist area. Coronado Island and hotel, the harbor, zoo and even the homeless encampment along the freeway, he knows his adopted city well. I noticed he had can coolers and a magnetic sign advertising "Scotty's Tour Shuttle" also knowing he didn't have or need a part time job I asked him about them. His reply was that's what happens when you are on Vista printings website at midnight with a cocktail in your hand. Thanks for the great time Scotty. We shall see you back in Minnesota.



Feb 27 Stuck in our tiny home the rain continues, Cribbage, a little more packing and wait for the rain to stop. Susie called, she had found someone more permanent. The plan is now out the window, we don't have a place to stay in Arizona. Back to my old friend Mr Craigslist (or is it Mrs?) Emails, texts, and phone calls, the pressure was on. Nothing for sure came of all the hard work. Just a possibility in a motel that did long term rental with a kitchenette. The person on the phone promised to have a unit to inspect with a price for a 40 day stay. I missed a park model rental by literally minutes with a gentleman named Mark. The ray of sunshine was his recommendation that we visit the park and check out the bulletin board as there was always rentals listed. The drawback may be the 40 days we wanted to rent. Most require at least a 3-6 month agreement. With one more day in Hemet before the move at least we had possibilities.
      Fortunately the 28th was a beautiful day, we packed our little motorcycle trailer for our return to Mesa AZ. It involved many trips back and forth carrying our meager belongings leaning over and packing them. The effort was causing more pain on my left side, a couple of inventive solutions involving belts and rolled up towels, I think I will be okay.  Continue packing, more pain, sit down feet up. pain subsides, hey we are going to get this packed. We are just about ready except for I'm guessing an hour in the morning, We will get up early, finish loading,  stop in Hemet for Ruthie's 8 AM hair appointment, ride to Arizona find a rental and get settled, who says we fly by the seat of our pants, we have a plan. By evening the pain has increased a little , keep legs elevated especially left one.
6pm That night we said our farewells to our wonderful friends and landlords at their dining room table. Tea and goodbyes at Sterling and Lynda's. Tough saying goodbye to these two. They have been amazing hosts and friends. I had to cut the farewell short, Ruthie could stay and visit, it was now getting painful to sit upright I walked alone to our rental.
      I couldn't find a comfortable position anymore.   Laying in  bed with a  pillow under my left leg braced it higher up against the wall, turned on my side, stomach, back , repeat, pain in the left side worsens. Feeling flushed, what is going on anyway? Nausea, vomiting, Okay now I'm better, my co-rider now nurse has returned and is concerned. "you should see a doctor". I'll feel better in the morning, we will ride to Arizona get settled and I will go to the Mayo clinic there. If there is a problem they can fix it I thought. Okay can we elevate my legs a little, there that should do it, now dry heaves, I think Oh my god am I loud, sounds like a monster bellering. Soon I was wedged between the porcelain bowl and the wall, my stomach contracting and uttering the loudest gut wrenching noise I have ever heard a human being utter. I was scared and Ruthie was on the phone to Minnesota's famous Mayo clinic nurse line. I reassured her I would be okay and when we rode to Arizona tomorrow I would get checked out at the branch office there. Her nor the nurse on the other end were
convinced and soon I was laying on the back floor of our landlords car heading for the emergency room.   I asked her if she had ever had a man screaming in her back seat before, can't remember what she said.  A long ride to the emergency room.  I warned her that if I said to stop to quickly pull over and put the emergency flashers on.  After one stop Ruthie came outside to check on me and discovered in the dark and my condition I was bent over a little to close to a deep cement water canal.   We also found out that Lynda thought the emergency flasher button was just a decoration.  Good to know!  Arriving at Loma Linda Emergency, they seen the Nitro vile hanging from my neck observed my general state and rushed me in for an EKG, Yup some numbers out of line but not my heart. Watch where I'm pointing left side by my hip bone, not my chest!   Into an admitting room, Ruthie's answering the questions for the admitting attendant.  I'm on the floor on all fours making that horrible noise into what looks like a giant blue condom.  The male nurse asking the questions remarks. Pain left side (Yup where I've been pointing for over a year now). Nausea, "Why man you've got a kidney stone!" he said.  Even in pain I was confused, "a what?" with all the checkups, tests and hernia surgery no one had ever mentioned kidney stones. 
Naughty Nurses!

    Some intravenous drugs, (I warned you not to use my right arm, now call in someone else to try and place the needle.). a CT scan and the attending doctor reassures me I had a kidney stone that has now passed, however there is one still in the left kidney but while it stays there it won't cause any trouble until I pass it.  Here I'm a little confused because I didn't study medicine but I thought the only way to pass one of those suckers involve some intense pain in other areas.  However the Doctor knows best.   Evidently my smile of relief at being healed and the pain killers gave the admitting nurses a chance to mock my appearance a few hours back when I had entered the room.  Naughty Nurses. 
5 AM  With two hours of sleep we loaded everything we had brought plus all our purchases during our stay.  It reminded me of the pictures I had seen during the dust bowl of cars with everything strapped to the sides for the trip.   With my pain gone and with the reassurance of the physician that it would be okay we headed out.  Due to the medication I'm sure I was more rested than Ruthie.  
   With a parting attempt at humor we sprinkled some poultry treats behind our little caravan and posted the picture on Lynda's Facebook page.  I said her flock would not be harmed and would be returned after the ransom was paid.   Please remember due to effects of emergency drugs my judgment might have been impaired.   
The Beverly hillbillies?  Or Ma and Pa Kettle??
     Ready or not Arizona, here we come!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, I have been a little Slack with my blog. I will use your comment as a stimulus to get back to work on it. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete

  2. Very helpful information!Thank you so much for the detailed article.
    background removal service

    ReplyDelete