Saturday, March 4, 2017

199 F-18 fighter jet or home?

     F-18 the lot number of our park model rental.   Someone had placed a small model fighter jet on one of the timbers decorating the entrance of our new home.
     We started moving in immediately emptying our trike and heading back to the hotel to gather our refrigerated items and belongings.

     Not sure if it was just a very friendly park or our tiny moving van caught their eye.  Passerby's started stopping in and wishing us well.  Whichever, they all seemed extremely friendly and welcoming.  The neighbor immediately to the south stopped over and started telling us about the park.   I recalled my cousin Sandy and her calendar in her retirement community.   I expect this would be similar.   Neighbor Dave kept up the explanation listing the features of the park as we continued to unload the trailer.  At one point while he was standing on the street he pointed and said "and you can get a drink over there."   I stepped out into the street to see where he was pointing.  I expected to see some sort of park facility, perhaps a tavern.  Turned out he was pointing to his carport next door.   And he was right, spending many hours with him and Jani in their carport.  Wonderful first neighbors all the way from Michigan.  

A trip to the grocery store, we should
have left the trailer hooked up.
            We were invited for Coffee and doughnuts Friday morning in the community center.  We were surprised at the number of people that showed up.   Our first lesson in the park, you were expected to bring your own utensils, plates cups etc.for group events.   I also learned to sit nearer the door for an escape route.  I felt it was kind of like a bait and switch as it wasn't just coffee and doughnuts, it was a meeting, complaint session and activities discussion of coming events.  The man across the table must have seen my eyes glazing over, leaning forward he whispered  "be careful what you sign up for or it becomes a job."  I etched that mental note in my mind figuring he must be speaking from experience.   A very friendly group the handshakes and introductions continued, to many to remember.   It seems approximately half were from the northern Midwest and the others from Canada.   Regina, Victoria Island, Jan from Saskatoon, I nodded like I knew what they were talking about.  I figured for 40 days I could fake that I knew about our neighbor to the North.   As we had rode our trike thru Canada on our way to Alaska and to Butchart gardens on Victoria Island we were aware of the rugged beauty and graciousness of its residents.  Time to settle in and make the best of our tiny home rental and Adult RV park.  The only dark cloud was leaning over our tow trailer and carrying in our supplies had brought back a familiar stabbing pain and nausea in my left side.  How can this be?  The doctor had reassured me the remaining kidney stone would not be a problem.
     Coincidentally my smart phone let me know we had by fate settled in literally a couple of blocks from our Rochester MN friends Linda and Donnie and within 3 miles of North Dakota cycle friends Rod and Linda.   What are the odds??   We will have to touch bases with them after settling in. 
     The next day we walked the park to check out the amenities,  It had a little over 300 spots with the majority of them occupied with one bedroom one bath park model homes of approximately 400 square feet.  There were a few temporary spots down the center and scattered around the perimeter for motorhome and pull behind trailers.  The park itself is hidden from view by a large motel and apartment buildings surrounding its walled sides.  A secure gate guards the entrance.
     Ruthie immediately felt safe and secure in the park waking early she walked the park and met more of the residents.   I figured it would be a place we could relax, work on the blog and enjoy the sunshine that had been missing from California.  However something was definitely in the air in the park.  The residents were planning something, most were excited about something,  what could it be?  We were encouraged to buy tickets for some event, trying to fit in we obliged.  
March 4, 2017
      It was a park celebration.   The theme was 50's and 60's.   First a parade led by the American and Canadian flag
And then an entry from the  park streets, some were quite unique.  I suspect this 57 Chevy was a golf cart yesterday.  Evidently only a two seater as poor Elvis had to walk.
 Unfortunately the parks championship softball team had to double as their own cheerleaders.  I think I'm scarred for life!
  
  I guess social issues are not off limit. 

  
     Some streets put a lot of effort into float building.

   
     Some entrants were on a smaller scale. 

    That's Jan with the 57 Chevy sign.  Seems to always have a smile on her face.  From Saskatoon Saskatchewan, try saying that three times or spell it without google.
    There were games and contests.  Even an Elvis contest.  Ruthie tried her hand at corn hole.  Most games cost a dime. 


      What's up with these people?  Have we discovered Mayberry RFD?  Or maybe the Biosphere?   Although not entirely self sufficient they seem to make their own entertainment.   A dance finished up the evening.   We retired to reflect on the events of the day, thankful for the friendly community outside of our little rental home.   

2 comments:

  1. I am reading this by myself and laughing out loud. You crack me up even when you're a thousand miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it, nice to know someone out there is reading it. It looks like it's going to be a steady rain all day today. This Memorial Day 2019. Maybe I'll just read it again myself. I always get a kick out of the pictures. We were very lucky that fate and Fortune delivered us to Mesa Arizona.

      Delete